For Current & Future Clients
Initially we will gather information to determine if we are able to serve you. Once an appointment is made we will need you to complete documents to help us have a full picture of your wishes and come up with a plan that best meets your individual needs. This is a very personal process and for that reason we will require you to provide sensitive information. Remember this is a two way conversation and a commitment that requires trust of both the Attorney and the client or potential client.
Once you have spoken with one of our staff members and an Initial Consultation is scheduled, you will need to bring requested forms (completed) to your first meeting with Attorney Carney. Providing this information will help Janis to see a full picture and address your needs with the best possible solution and outcome to meet your individual concerns.
What To Expect
Our staff and office are warm and inviting (at least we think so) , we take pride in our environment.. we will offer you some sort of yummy beverages and snacks. Your first appointment will dive into your unique individual wishes and needs. Janis will ask some tough questions to really ensure that we are able to provide you with a plan that supports you to the fullest. The hope is that you leave with gained knowledge of your options, a clear direction, relief and peace of mind. Ultimately, we want to help you navigate through your needs/wishes and provide you with a plan that provides not only the legal documents ,but supports the specific vision you have for your life as you age. Our approach is holistic as it considers not only how we are going to protect your assets ,but how we are going to protect and support your health journey as you age. We are excited to get the opportunity to work with you.
Government & Community Resources
- Santa Clara County Superior Court — The website for Santa Clara County Superior Court
- Santa Clara County Superior Court: Probate — The Probate Division of Superior Court handles a wide range of issues involving adults and children
- Santa Clara County Superior Court:: Probate Info — Public access case information site
- California Courts — Website for California Judicial Branch
- California Dept. of Health Care Services — California Dept of Health Care Services, Main Med-Cal page
- United States Courts — Website for the United States Federal Court
- United States Social Security Administration — The official website for the United States Social Security Administration
- United States Medicare — The United States government site for Medicare
- Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan — A website that helps insure those with pre-existing medical condition
- United States Information — A government information site on a vast variety of topics
- Alzheimer’s Association — The Alzheimer’s Association is a leader in Alzheimer research and support
- American Association of Retired Persons — AARP is a nonprofit organization dedicated to the interests of those 50 and older
- American Society on Aging — A nonprofit organization committed to enhancing the knowledge and skills of those working with older adults and their families
- California Advocates for Nursing Home Reform — California Advocates for Nursing Home Reform: Nursing Home Guide; Long Term Care Advocacy; Lawyer Referral Service; Pension Rights Project; Medi-Cal Estate Planning
- California Caregiver Resource Centers — Information, education, respite, care planning & support for families and friends caring for adults with chronic, disabling health conditions
- Family Caregiver Alliance — For caregivers that provides information, education, services, research & advocacy
- Listing of Nursing Homes in CA — A listing of nursing homes, by county, in California
- Professional Fiduciary Association of CA — This provides information and resources on professional fiduciaries
- Sourcewise This is a community organization focusing on services for seniors
- Breathing Spaces – This is a local support group for caregivers with weekly group walks, shared resources and overall support.
- Paying for Senior Care– Click on link to get information regarding VA benefits and Long-term care through the VA
- Caring.com– A leading senior care resource for family caregivers seeking information and support as they care for aging parents, spouses and other loved ones. We have been featured by AARP, The Administration for Community Living, The National Legal Resource Center, and Forbes, as well as referenced by many governmental agencies and organizations across the Internet.
Janis Carney is co-author or author of the following informational books:
- Tax-Free Money for Long-term Care!, 2017 California Edition, Co-Authored by Janis A. Carney, AFFC Publications 2017
- Don’t Go Broke In A Nursing Home, 2016 California Edition, Co-Authored by Janis A. Carney, AFFC Publications 2016
- What You Really Need To Know For the Second Half of Life, Co-Authored by Janis A. Carney, South Carolina, Advantage 2015
- Protect Your Family! Don’t Write a Blank Check to the Nursing Home, Second Edition, Co-Authored by Janis A. Carney, South Carolina, Advantage 2015
- You’re Not Alone- Living as an Alzheimer’s Caregiver 2019
- You’re Not Alone- Living with Alzheimer’s Disease 2019